I’d like to replace the plug on a counter top Toastmaster 7093X convection oven. The reading on the appliance lists it as 120 Volt 1320 Watt and 50-?0 HZ. The plug (especially the metal prong part) would get really hot after using the appliance and the cord nearest the plug would get very warm. This did not seem safe to me. Here are a couple of images of the plug that I cut off.

The plug seems to be polarized. The wiring seems to be the same metal (copper?) for each side (I thought the neutral polarized portion was suppose to be silver?). There is no colored insulation on the wires other than the black casing.

I tried to replace the plug with a simple diy product. You simply cut the plug off of the old cord. Slip the cord through the plug housing. Slip the ends of the cord into the prong housing and at the point there is a self piercing system that pierces the insulation and therefore touches the wiring. The problem is, the cord had to be forced through the plug housing and the cord/casing did not fit through the prong portion (should I have stripped the casing off exposing the wires since there is no insulation?).

I went to the home store and asked if they had any other polarized replaceable plugs. They did not but he showed me two different other plugs that had 2 flat headed prongs (not polarized). He indicated that these would work fine for what I had despite that I showed him that the former plug was polarized.

Can I use a flat headed plug adapter in place of this polarized plug? Also any thoughts on replacing the entire cord? I took the metal housing off of the appliance and it would be simple enough to clip on the two connectors if only I could find a cord to replace it as they did not have that correct size (gauge) at the home store.

The plug shown is the right kind. The heating indicates poor connection, probably due the the fact that you had the cord bent too tight, or moved it a lot, or the wall socket is worn and needs replacing. If it has a loose grip on the cord plug, you can get heating due to resistance.

The replacement you describe is not the right kind, and should not be used on anything bigger than a 60 watt lamp. You need a plug with screw connections. If you do not understand what you are doing, I suggest you take the oven to an appliance repair shop. Wrong installation can result in replacing the whole house, due to fire.

The plug that you were attempting to use would have sufficient for a lamp or low powered appliance drawing less than 5amps. So, do the math. Divide the voltage into the wattage rating of the appliance. This will tell you the amperage you are consuming at the appliances full power use. Since you will not find the required cord end for that amperage at other than a specialty supplier, go for the next higher, 15amp, which are a standard application and universally available.

You must use a polarized plug on a 2-wire corded appliance. One wire on the cord will have a distinctive groove or ridge along its entire length; this is the neutral or white wire. If you run your finger along both sides of the cord, one side is smooth, the other is identified by the grooves or ridges.

You may have to visit a local electrical supply house or appliance repair center for the correct cord for your appliance. An appliance that heats will require a specially insulated cord that can withstand the higher “ambient” temperature surrounding the appliance (the heat produced by the appliance heats the area around the appliance and the cord). A general use cord and plug like you purchased will not work, as you have already found out!

If this sounds like a lot of trouble, consider the value of the appliance: fi the parts are hard to find, you may save time and money by replacing the appliance. A visit to an appliance repair facility may confirm this.

You should be able to find a polarized two-prong replacement plug that attaches to the wire with screws. It might be somewhat bigger than the one you have, but it is best to stick to a polarized plug. You can match the wider prong by looking at the wire. I can see from your photos that there is white printing on one side of the wire. You can see that this printing is on the side that goes to the wider prong.

The guy at the store is correct that a non-polarized plug will work, but the appliance is safer if it is plugged in correctly. Appliances are designed so that in case of an electrical fault inside, the outer case of will not become live and create a shock hazard. This can be defeated if not polarized correctly.

It might be best to buy a complete cord set and wire it inside the oven. A home store might have such a thing, but an electrical specialty store or an appliacne repair shop might be a better choice.

Those piercing-type plugs are not safe, especially for a high-wattage appliance. Your oven draws 1320 watts, which is the highest allowed for a 15-amp circuit. You need a very good connection at both ends of the wire to avoid overheating, and burning. Obviously the original cord was not quite good enough for this application. The reason it got very hot was that the connection from the wire to the metal prongs (inside the molded plug) was not capable of carrying this current for a long time; or else, the prongs themselves were not making a good connection inside your electrical outlet. Either of these will cause overheating. After you have repaired the wire with a top-quality plug or a new cord set, you might consider replacing the outlet. There really is a difference between the $0.49 cent duplex outlets and the $5.00 ³Pro-grade² type. I also never trust the type of outlets that you just poke the wires into the back, where the connection is made by a spring inside. A relative nearly had a house fire (heat, smoke & smell, coming from inside the wall box). The cause was the type of outlet, and a wall heater on the same circuit downstream from that outlet. I always use a type that has a screw clamp for the wire, and the best is the type where you form a half-loop around the screw.