I had to store my pine furniture while I was searching to buy a house. My furniture was in a garage that is damp and with all the rain caused mold to grow on the lower legs. I was told to use a bleach and water combination and apply it everywhere to kill all the spores…

Vinegar. Just white vinegar. High acidity will kill all kinds of vermin.

Bleach is fine for non-porous surface cleaning, like countertops and bathtubs or sinks, and bleach will kill and remove mold that is on the surface of wood. However, if the mold has grown into the grain (very likely unless the finish is in excellent condition) bleach will not penetrate to get rid of the mold. In fact, the water in the bleach mixture will penetrate (leaving the bleach itself behind). The mold will like the water very much and it will actually encourage future growth. This is a big problem with bleach used in an attempt to remove mold on wood, concrete, carpeting, wallboard, etc.

There is a product called Shockwave that is supposed to solve this problem. It is actually very much like a hospital disinfectant. For more info see http://fiberlock.com/pr/8310.htm. It is sold in janitorial supply stores and online at www.jondon.com. It is available in a concentrate, a 10-oz bottle for $11 will mix up several gallons. I would recommend this product for treating mold on any porous wood.

Beware! Bleach works well, EXCEPT, it may bleach spots on the upholstery. You need to find something for mildew that will not change the colors. Even so, try it on a hidden area first.

The standard technique for removing mildex is oxidation. Bleach is the standard residential oxident, peroxide is often a better choice. The paint and stain department of your local hardware store should have at least one peroxide/neutralizer combination. They are normally used to strip furniture for re-finishing.